Monday, April 5, 2010

Not Just Any Day
















I'm writing this while I should really be focusing on the 12 page paper I have due tomorrow on "the politics of memory in a post-apartheid society." If anyone has any idea how to tackle a topic as grave as this, I will be forever in debt. In the mean time I'll focus on the memories from our most recent adventure. On to the most memorable day of my life...




When we heard that this "lion encounter" existed in Livingstone, Zambia, we knew it was an unheard of opportunity that would be worth every penny. The more we investigated, the more eager we were. ALERT, African Lion and Environmental Research Trust, is the organization that is associated with these walks that raises awareness and supports the healthy integration of lions across Africa. Before experiencing the lion encounter I was unaware of the "vulnerable" status of lions (not quite endangered) and the 85% decrease of the lion population over the past 35 years.















The experience basically consisted of Anna, Julie, Talya & I walking through the natural African bush with several trained guides (one carrying a rifle in case of emergency) side by side with two lions. Although the lions are not trained or zoo-like in any sense, they have daily interactions with people which allow them to feel more comfortable walking with us then a wild lion would. Regardless, we were all pretty terrified walking with only our sticks to use as distractions. We were especially scared when the lions quickly became too rowdy for comfort and started charging at us from behind. Oblivious as usual, the guides started screaming at us to move to the side, but we found ourselves paralyzed. One lion ran straight into Julie's tush, literally making all of our stomachs drop and hearts stop. The adrenaline rush took several hours to fade! To this day we still ask each other when else in our lives will we be so close to potentially the scariest animal on earth. I'm assuming the answer is never.




thandi from cape town,
emma

2 comments:

  1. I don't know if I should be happy or regretful that I was your strong supporter to conquer your dog phobia back in 2nd grade! I never thought the result would be walking with lions!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. EXCUSE ME GRAMMAR POLICE: YOU USED I WHEN YOU MEANT TO USE ME. HA HA HA! (very cool story though!)

    ReplyDelete