Sunday, February 21, 2010

African Beach

So here it goes- the first anticipated blog post from South Africa. After contemplating my options for the topic of this entry, I came to the conclusion that Cape Town, South Africa, and Africa as a whole is far too complex to narrow down to just one subject. In addition, the amount of cultural events, delectable food, riveting people, gorgeous beaches, and political mayhem we have experienced over the past month are too hard to capture in one post. I could attempt to sum up the past month by stating that in addition to partying (way too) hard, I am finally beginning to accept my new life here; living as a white American student in a crime filled city that is often disguised as first world, the reality being a third-world country. While I could focus on the negatives such as daily muggings, theft, abuse, and a president (Jacob Zuma) that has just fathered his 22nd child out of wedlock, I would rather set the tone of this blog in a positive way. Nothing is more positive to me than perfectly soft sand and water so blue it looks crystal clear.

After suffering blistering sunburns at Camps Bay and the fierce winds of Muizenberg, we unanimously fell in love with Clifton Beach- beach four to be exact. The beach is sandwiched between Sea Point and Camps Bay with breathtaking views of Lions Head Mountain along with the casually beautiful woman sunbathing topless. Hopefully this beach won’t be too much of a distraction for us from going to class...

thandi from africa,

emma

1 comment:

  1. WOW- The beaches sound amazing Emma!
    I can't wait to hear more about Cape Town...

    ReplyDelete